The demand for Android app developers is growing worldwide. So is the competition in the job market. An increasing number of app development companies are expanding their teams to meet growing demands. But you must know your craft to get the desired job. That means knowing the Android app development platform inside out if you’re aiming to be part of a top Android app development company in India or elsewhere.
This blog post aims to help you get the desired job and excel in your career as an Android app developer. In the following paragraphs, we will discuss the most asked questions for interviews to hire Android app developers at leading companies.
Most Asked Android Interview Questions Answered
Q.1. What is the programming language for Android app development?
Java is the most widely used language for writing Android apps. However, Kotlin is also catching up well with Android developers. Both Java and Kotlin are official languages for Android app development. You can also write apps in C/C++ using the Android Native Development Kit. Major parts of Android are written in Java.
Q.2. What are the key features of Android?
Android is the most widely used mobile operating system worldwide. Its popularity can be largely attributed to the user-friendly features and functionalities. From design-rich themes and wallpapers to highly evolved AI assistants, Android covers a wide spectrum of features. Here are some of the most striking ones.
– Open-source development platform
– Cross-platform and runs across various devices
– Easily accessible documentation, tutorials, and previews
– Go edition available for entry-level smartphones
– Android Studio provides tools for building apps
– Sample code and easily app testing
Q.3. Explain the Android architecture?
The Android architecture is composed of the different layers in the Android stack. These layers include the operating system, middleware, and important applications. Every layer renders different services to its adjacent layer. The most crucial functional layers on the Android stack are:
– Linux Kernel
– Android libraries
– The Android framework
– Android applications
Q.4. What is an APK format?
The Android application package, or APK, is the compressed file used to install and distribute software applications and middleware on the Android operating system. The compressed file possessed .apk extension. It comprises all the application code, resource files, and certificates, among others.
Q.5. What is an Android framework?
The Android framework is a central part of the Android architecture. It’s a set of APIs that enables Android developers to write code for apps. Below are the salient features of the Android framework.
– Hardware abstraction layer
– Android runtime
– Native C/C++ libraries
– Java API framework
– System apps
Q.6. What is the Android SDK?
The Android software development kit is a set of tools that provides API libraries and tools for app development. Using the SDK, developers can write code, test, and debug apps for the Android operating system. Key components of the Android SDK include:
– Android Emulator
– Dalvik Debug Monitoring Services
– Android Asset Packaging tool
– Android Debug Bridge
Q.7. How do you define intents in Android? What are the types of intents?
‘Intents’ are intentions to execute an action in terms of programming. Intent could be a messaging object you can use or request an action from a different component of the app. Intents are of two types:
• Implicit intent: In an implicit intent the target component is not defined. The Android system itself must evaluate the registered components using the intent data.
• Explicit intent: In an explicit intent the application explicitly defines the target component.
Q.8. Describe three common use cases of intent.
Here are three common cases of using intents in Android app development:
• Starting an activity: We can start a new activity by passing an Intent to startActivity() method.
• Starting a service: We can start a service to perform a one-time operation like downloading a file by passing an Intent to startService().
• Delivering a broadcast: We can deliver a broadcast to other apps by passing the intent to sendBroadcast(), sendOrderedBroadcast(), or sendStickyBoradcast().
Q.9. What is the difference between a file, class, and activity in Android?
– A file is a block of arbitrary information or resources for storing data. The block can be of any file type.
– A class is a compiled .java file that the Android system uses to generate an executable APK.
– An activity is the equivalent of the Frame/Window in GUI toolkits. It’s just a class that you can extend in Android to load UI elements.
Q.10. What is an ANR? How would you avoid an ANR situation?
ANR is Application Not Responding. An ANR dialogue pops up when the main thread application is unresponsive for a long time. This may arise due to the following conditions:
– A lack of response to an input event after 5 seconds.
– When the broadcast receiver doesn’t execute within 10 seconds.
Measures to avoid ANR:
– Perform a long database or networking operations in separate threads.
– Create a child thread to prevent the Android system from concluding a code that has been unresponsive for a long time.
– Reduce the pressure from the UI thread in background task-intensive apps.
Q.11. What are the different storage methods in Android app development?
Here are the most used storage methods for Android apps:
• Shared Storage: Storing private primitive data in key-value pairs.
• Internal Storage: Storing private data in the device’s memory.
• External Storage: Storing public data on shared external storage.
• SQLite Databases: Storing structured data in private databases.
The demand for Android developers is likely to remain high. The best way to prepare yourself for the desired job is to brush up your skills and knowledge. Also, you must not stop learning new tools, technologies, and problem-solving methods. With the right knowledge, attitude, and practice, you can easily qualify interviews that may initially seem challenging.
The list of questions and answers we discussed in this post is not an exhaustive one by any means. Android app development is a sprawling arena. And interview questions could be incredibly diverse. But these are some of the most frequently asked questions by all kinds of employers. At Android Developer, a leading Android app development company in India, we too base our selection on such questions that test in-depth knowledge of the candidate. Follow our blogs and social media posts to stay updated about all things Android.